Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Bruce Almighty

The trailer for this film was hysterically funny. I must have made more than a few people watch it with me. But I worried. Were those all the funny bits? Was it one of those trailers that gives too much away, so that when you finally watch the film, it's a major letdown? I suppose I shouldn't have watched the trailer over and over again, because well, uh, yeah, it was. I like Jim Carrey even though sometimes he makes me want to bite my fingernails to the quick. And I admire that he's been quite successful in not-necessarily-comedic roles. But this poor film is trying too hard to blend slapstick comedy and philosophy. It most definitely doesn't succeed. Meeting God, disbelieving in God, getting excited about being God, learning that those powers aren't what he wants, that he just wants to be happy and have the people around him be happy, ho hum. I could have written this myself. Still, it's amusing for the parts in which he's trying out God's powers. Jennifer Aniston surprised me as well (though she moved down a notch from The Good Girl), not for her role, which was your typical boring girlfriend role, but for a scene in which she cries over losing Carrey. She really isn't a bad dramatic actress, and I hope she stops hesitating and jumps into those roles again.

year: 2003
length: 101 min.
rating: 2.5
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0315327/combined

No comments: