Saturday, March 13, 2004

28 Days Later...

I was kinda afraid to watch this film. I mean, it's ostensibly billed as a horror film, and I only just realized I can watch horror films without having nightmares three nights running (probably an effect of that horrible Space:1999 episode from when I was a child). But my favorite critic was using phrases like "this is a punk rock zombie movie" and trying to prove that it really was a horror film, as opposed to what other critics might be saying, so I knew I had to give it a go. It is definitely a punk- rock flick. A bicycle messenger wakes up from a coma in London and discovers, well, no one. Everyone seems to be gone (and how they filmed London with no people in it proves that those in charge in London are cooler than, say, those in New York). And then the mad zombies start to attack. It's got its funny and poignant bits, no doubt, but I was yelping in some scenes. I was also too interested in the final outcome to look away for too long. Acted well by a cast of what I considered unknowns, it doesn't make me want to rent Dawn of the Dead or, for goodness sake, Friday the 13th, but it gave me an appreciation of horror films and it was entertaining, in the end.

year: 2002
length: 113 min.
rating: 3.0
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289043/combined

No comments: