Saturday, July 30, 2005

Wedding Crashers

You can now label me officially a Vince Vaughn fan. First, he was the only decent thing about Dodgeball, then he does that comic genius thing again, only in a radical 360-degree kind of way. Usually, these kind of films bore me silly -- two dopey guys only interested in sex find the girl(s) of their dreams. Yawn. Been done thousands and thousands and thousands... Ten minutes in I was sure this would be an eye-roller. But once they finish showing us how Vaughn and Owen Wilson have perfected the dastardly art of wedding crashing, and the film gets down to business, it's pretty freakin' funny. (I'll admit, right off the bat, that the first dinner table scene made me laugh so hard I had to make an effort to keep my eyes open. I don't quite know what it was that made it so funny -- it's the oldest joke in the book. Context, I guess.) Naturally, the plot is ridiculous, but all romance movies have ridiculous plots. Assume this before you go or there'll be no viewing pleasure for you. Still, I can't give it more than a 3.0, if only because of the evil boyfriend (but he looks so nice!) and the homosexual brother (but he's a sensitive artist!). Back to my original point... Wilson is terrific (you just want to pinch his cheeks he's so sweet) and Rachel McAdams as the love interest is as engaging as she was in The Notebook (I'd like to see her do something other than romance now; she clearly has the chops for it), but Vaughn simply sparkles. He's kooky, clever, completely twisted, and loving every second of it. Just what you need in a sidekick. Isn't it time he got a headliner, though?

year: 2005
length: 119 min.
rating: 3.0
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0396269/combined

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vince Vaughn has recently joined the list of my imaginary Hollywood boyfriends. No, he's not Clooney, and he's not Depp, but he makes me laugh without fail. Old School? Genius. Pure genius. I was annoyed that Crashers had to turn into a redemption story. Can't a movie just be funny with no "but they have a heart of gold and realize the error of their ways" ruinous ending? (see Jerry McGuire, Speed or a thousand other examples of unnecessary riding off into the sunset plots ...) Give me more of them being naughty, and evading the rules. It's funny! Still, I could barely breathe during the dinner table scene, and there were enough laughs to make it worth the eye rolling sap at the end.