Friday, August 05, 2005

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Ah, a worthy heir. (Joke! Don't worry, you'll get it when you see the movie.) Johnny Depp steps smartly into Gene Wilder's shoes and pulls off one more portrayal of the distinctly nutty, bizarrely childlike, and decidedly eccentric Willy Wonka. For those of you who loved Wilder's version as a child, it may be difficult to fathom what good a remake can bring (as yet another of the endless stream of remakes), but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. This one may not have the googly-eyed man himself, but it has overabundant color! and surreal sets! and cute little musical numbers! and really funny lines! and trained squirrels! and to top it all off Depp!, who has his feet planted firmly as the cleverest actor of his generation. Here he's channeling Pee-Wee Herman, albeit a Pee-Wee with extra bite and wit. For those who've read the book, this film adds a bit of backstory to Wonka's childhood, but otherwise is completely faithful. Wonka's reminiscences of his childhood are a teeny bit distracting, as they drag you away from the main thrust of the film (that being the removal of every one of the naughty kids who gets to tour Wonka's chocolate factory except Charlie himself, of course). And yet I thought they made the ending all that more sweet and caring. I do hope Tim Burton gets to make The Great Glass Elevator, if only to see who he'd cast at the President of the U.S. (Jack Nicholson again?) and as the Vermicious Knids (Jack Nicholson again?). Probably a good thing I'm not a casting agent, but let's hear it for more from the Burton-Depp team!

year: 2005
length: 115 min.
rating: 4.0
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367594/combined

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Must disagree with you on this one. My wife Kim and I saw this at our local Drive-In last night. Kim hated the movie, saying that it pales in comparison to the original. I, too, was disappointed even though I did find the film did have some admirable qualities.

Johnny Depp gets credit for being
a brave actor. He could have played Wonka as eccentric, but ultimately charming (ala Gene Wilder). Instead, he plays him as eccentric and just plain weird (a Michael Jackson comparison is inescapable though Depp's Wonka plays as a Michael Jackson character that is uncomfortable around children and doesn't want their company). While Depp makes Wonka a far more complex character than Wilder, he also makes him so creepy that I wouldn't want to spend any time with him. I'll take Gene Wilder's Wonka any day.

Some peeves - the music. It was horrible and unmemorable. We loved the music in the original and couldn't stand the new Danny Elfman score. Also, having one actor playing all the Oompah Loompahs. I'm not really sure why this bothered me, but I found myself wishing that each O.L. had their own distinct look and personality.

One more thing - even though the overriding message remains intact (ie- Charlie is rewarded for his kindness and decency; the other children are punished for their "sins"), the Burton/Depp Wonka is saturated with cynicism. It leaves a bad aftertaste. Unlike the original, this is not a film I would show to a young child.

It is probably unfair to assess this film in comparison to the 1971 original. I'm clearly doing so and going against my better nature in my belief that each film should be judged on its own merits. But you can only bring to the movie house the mind and memories you possess and, even though 30 plus years have passed, the Wilder film left an indeliable impression on this viewer. I cannot say the same about this version.

I have a 22-year old in my office who has never seen the original. He says he really likes this "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." I wonder how I would have felt if I could have seen it through his eyes.

Anonymous said...

I was unimpressed by this film, and think Depp can do better. I thought the Michael Jackson similarities were over the top: white-chalky, angular
face, and shoulder length hair, and the squeeky high voice. Didn't he look and sound like Jackson? Then there was the father story.