Saturday, July 02, 2005

The Coca-Cola Kid

I don't remember now why I even had this movie in my queue. I guess it's interesting for three reasons: 1) to see why Greta Scacchi has no shame 2) to see how far Eric Roberts has fallen and 3) to see why Australians are ever so much cooler than Americans. Roberts is some big-shot Coca-Cola marketing genius, sent to Australia to shake up the Aussies and make them sell, sell, sell! Scacchi is his secretary who has never heard the phrase "playing hard to get," culmintaing in them at long last going to bed together...amidst big fluffy pillow feathers. It's ludicrous. Especially since Roberts has made it abundantly clear that he is not in the least interested throughout the film and then all of a sudden they're smooching on a big red bed. We don't even see the "caving in" scene! That's not just bad plotting, that's extraordinarily bad acting. I guess Roberts was still a possibility as a leading man in Hollywood at this time; after this you'll see why he's remained a B-movie actor. (His sister's astronomically better; must be galling.) The rest of the plot is too silly and poorly directed to mention. Ok, one mention: the cross-dressing party and subsequent singing-in-the-rain scene. What the heck was that?! Talk about ludicrous. Anything good about the movie -- yes, the Coca-Cola song (I see at least one IMDB reviewer thinks exactly the same as me) and the cute little girl playing Scacchi's daughter. Not enough for a recommendation, I'm afraid.

year: 1985
length: 98 min.
rating: 1.5
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088931/combined

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Imagine my befuddlement to see one of my recommendations reviewed (that's right, it was me!), and so well-panned! Talk about embarrasing!