Friday, January 21, 2005

Secretary

If ever there was a film not for everyone, this is it. I would go so far as to say that only the bravest should see it. It's difficult to write that about a film I admire a great deal. But easier because I, frankly, didn't enjoy it much. I can't think of another film that manipulates your emotions to such an extent. For literally three-quarters of the film I was squirming in my seat, alternately horrified by the theme and appalled by the blatant, dare I say, illegality of what was being portrayed. When you think you've figured the film out, it does a reverse face and you don't even notice it you're so relieved not to be watching the previous material. I tip my hat to the writer and director. I can clearly imagine people leaving this film with a big, mushy, dopey grin on their face. If that's the intent of the filmmakers, I am in awe. The plot itself I'm not going to reveal much of, save to say that it's about a lawyer and his new, timid secretary. Oh, and if you don't like James Spader (and I do, but I would never, ever want to have dinner with the guy) you'll enjoy the film even less. However, if you want to see Maggie Gyllenhaal in her hands-down best film role, run right out and rent this. Just don't say I didn't warn you.

year: 2002
length: 104 min.
rating: 3.5
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274812/combined

No comments: