Thursday, January 20, 2005

13 Going on 30

OK, so it's a re-make of Big with a female lead, but it is one of the few films I've seen recently that's completely worth the re-make. It doesn't coast on the strength of the main actors, Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo. They build every brick of its success. Garner is eye-opening as a comedienne with some serious dramatic chops. I was really, really surprised (especially since I detested Daredevil and have never seen her in Alias). Ever since You Can Count on Me, I can't say enough good things about Ruffalo. He pops up in interesting places (Collateral?!), and is the perfect sexy schlub (as opposed to real schlubs like Paul Giamatti and John C. Reilly). I adored nearly every moment of this fun, sparkly, sweet movie. It's not the comedic masterpiece that Big is, but it's not meant to be. And it has a better moral ending, too. Grab a big bowl of popcorn, rent this movie, snuggle up with your loved one, and don't forget to watch the special feature "I Was a Teenage Geek." The perfect complement to the film.

year: 2004
length: 98 min.
rating: 3.5
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337563/combined

No comments: