Thursday, November 13, 2003

The Matrix Revolutions

Really, I don't see what the big hoo-hah is over this film. Yes, it's not that good, but it's also not that bad. I had an enjoyable time. Perhaps a bit more enjoyable than when I watched The Matrix Reloaded because there is (obviously) a resolution of the storyline. In addition, we see fewer instances of irritating Matrix-like tics than in the previous two films (that "come hither" flap of the hand -- man, was I tired of that!). Instead there's a well-crafted long battle sequence in the huge Port-of- Zion dome as the machines come through the roof. I couldn't at first figure out why I liked this so much. After mulling it over, I think it was because it was real "hand-to-hand" fighting and showcased human desperation, pride and perseverance. I guess I was ready for a real fight scene instead of the super-high-gloss mumbo-jumbo of bullet time fighting. The film wraps everything up with a nice neat bow but not without nods to spirituality, the human condition and faith, hearkening back to the first film. I was surprised at the decent acting, in particular Jada Pinkett Smith and the super-talented Hugo Weaving, who gets to deliver the best line of the film towards the end. It's a truism that if you have extremely low expectations of a film and it delivers more bang for your buck, you have a tendency to rate it higher. That might be what happened when I watched this film, and if so, you'll just have to prove me wrong.

year: 2003
length: 129 min.
rating: 3.0
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0242653/combined

No comments: