Tuesday, November 25, 2003

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle

Jim here, senior citizen guest reviewer on Kat's page. In the first few minutes of my 41st year (that means it was my 40th birthday) I came home from another gin-soaked ultimate frisbee bash to find Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle in the house. The house I live in! Talk about attraction-repulsion. After all, I had a great time watching the first Angels movie at Ann Arbor's Top of the Park Summer Festival with some ultimate frisbee pals a couple of summers ago. Since the point of Top is to hang out with your friends and hundreds of kids and teenagers and families and people who are mostly interested in hanging out with their friends and kids etc. outdoors on a summer night and looking up at the screen when the occasional explosion catches your eye, it was perfect. So here's the sequel, available indoors on a cold and wet November night, and Cameron Diaz is still pretty! Jump cut to the morning (there were a lot of jump cuts in the movie) and a return to my plotless life (there was no plot in the movie) and we talked about it as if it mattered (nothing in the movie mattered) over breakfast and tried to figure out all the ways it was bad. I got impatient with that -- time is precious now that I'm old -- so I said I'd write it out instead. It turns out that now that I've written this much I don't care enough to make a comprehensive list, so I'll sum up: I think we must have hit the wrong button on the remote, because what I saw was a collection of deleted scenes whose total running time was coincidentally about as long as a real movie would be. Maybe there was a script and a story and those are part of what you get from one of the other DVD menu selections, but I'll never know. I would have spent the time more productively drinking cheap liquor alone on a street corner in the rain.

year: 2003
length: 106 min.
rating: 1.5
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0305357/combined

No comments: