Sunday, June 08, 2003

Finding Nemo

I find all Pixar animated films delightful. They're utterly Disney-fied (but their contract with Disney expires soon, so that may not be the case in the near future), but I adore them because they're clever. As with the best Bugs Bunny cartoons, the kids love 'em, and so do adults because Pixar films are peppered with jokes intended to tickle only their funny bone. (For instance, watch for when the dentist's niece appears for the first time.) Besides, who cannot marvel at all that fancy animation footwork (handwork)? Apparently, a first pass at creating a coral reef was a failure because it looked too perfect. Which is why you'll see floating specks and other carefully arranged details to de- prettify the seascape. I almost always giggle and smile my way through a Pixar film, but I nearly found it hard to breathe during the sequence in which Dory is trying to communicate with a whale. I'm giggling just thinking about it! I guarantee you'll enjoy your time. But...you may not want to go to a matinee unless you're bringing your own kids or don't mind having your chair back kicked repeatedly by a 4-year old. A different sort of movie experience, actually, once you get into the mood.

year: 2003
length: 101 min.
rating: 3.5
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266543/combined

No comments: