Wednesday, May 07, 2003

Lonesome Dove

I suspect this is a highly regarded TV series, based on Larry McMurtry's novel of an 1800s cattle drive from Texas to Montana. It makes you feel as if you're watching a real cattle drive, but I didn't find the story that special. It's a classic epic in which there is a long journey, many deaths, many characters coming together and then apart, but in the end I didn't feel that anyone learned anything, so what was the point? If I had to pick a favorite actor out of this star-studded cast it would be Ricky Schroder as the young illegitimate kid. But the rest acted like they were in a Hallmark movie, especially Angelica Huston. And Robert Duvall! I don't get the fascination with his method of acting. Could he stop that silly giggling/smirking at least for some of his films?

year: 1989
length: 384 min. (6-part mini-series)
rating: 3.0
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096639/combined

No comments: