Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Peter Pan

While I applaud the decision to cast a young boy as Peter Pan instead of a girl or young woman (as is traditional), I question the choice of actor. Jeremy Sumpter is a seductive actor. Perhaps a bit too seductive for a children's film. Maybe this is something children won't notice, but a 13-year old actor with bedroom eyes sort of threw me for a loop. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the original tale was designed as a love story between two pre-teen children. This would all be gloss except that the screenplay focuses nearly exclusively on the potential love between the two. It actually got pretty uncomfortable to watch in parts. Other than this, their sets were fun to look at, and two actors in particular stole the show: Jason Isaacs as Captain Hook (and also the dastardly Lucius Malfoy in the Potter movies) and Ludivine Sagnier as a speech-deficient Tinkerbell. It's a mindless fun video rental for adults, if you can get past the romantic love theme, but I'm not sure I'd let kids see it. It twists the boundaries in ways that tread on the forbidden.

year: 2003
length: 113 min.
rating: 2.5
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316396/combined

No comments: