Friday, December 12, 2003

The West Wing

Who's my favorite character on this TV series? That's so hard because they're all excellent. I suppose it comes down to two, Toby and C.J., because Richard Schiff and Allison Janney are so good at making characters out of their characters. I mean, they've fleshed them out better than the others have. And they're funnier, to boot. I could see how some folks might be offended at the idea of a wise-cracking White House staff, however Aaron Sorkin blends that with issues in a way that makes it fun to learn about politics and the process of politics. The first season is out on DVD, which I immediately purchased (the only TV series I'm probably ever bound to buy), and 95% of the episodes are fantastic. (There's one -- The Crackpots and These Women -- that seemed phoned-in and is offensive as well.) Moira Kelly is the only original series character not to be included in the following seasons, and it becomes rather obvious why she was "replaced" by Janel Moloney. Hands down this is my fave TV show and I wish it hadn't taken them so long to release it on DVD. Those of us without television, who've watched episodes here and there, were champing at the bit.

year: 1999-?
length: season 1 on DVD, season 5 in play
rating: 3.5
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0200276/combined

No comments: