Sunday, October 19, 2003

School of Rock

Lots of people like Jack Black. His turn as a record store clerk in High Fidelity stole the show and launched him into stardom. I don't know anything about his music, and I haven't seen his interim films, but I'd heard so much about this flick that I had to see it for myself. Black plays someone desperate to earn money so he becomes a substitute teacher at an elementary prep school...without credentials. He hasn't the faintest clue what to do with his students until he hits upon the idea of forming a rock band (because he's a rock musician) and teaching them the history of rock. It's a sweet film with some messages (do what you love to do, don't worry about being fat, etc.), and it feels like it's the story of the life of Black himself. Which makes it seem more real and down-to-earth than you might expect. For Black fans, you're going to love this, because his antics are front and center. For those of us who get slightly embarrassed watching him, like we do when Jim Carrey goes round the bend, I think you'll still enjoy the film for its tone. I would consider it a great film to take your kids to see. And for me, I really wanted to see Joan Cusack belt out Stevie Nicks while slightly toasted. They hint at it but never give it to us. What did they think, that she'd upstage Black?

year: 2003
length: 108 min.
rating: 3.0
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0332379/combined

No comments: