Thursday, September 25, 2003

Dirty Harry

I've never much liked Clint Eastwood in his ride-'em-cowboy mode, and never understood why women swooned over him in his tough-guy roles, but the original Dirty Harry stands on its own (as yet another honest cop film, just with a very different style from Bullitt). And, I'm convinced it's not all due to him. Yup, he sure does squint good and can give the evil eye like few others on film, yet without a decent story (very much a product of the times) and a superbly acted nutso villian, I don't think it would have become such a classic. The actor who played the villain has had that famous line delivered to him thousands of times (the one with "do you feel lucky, punk?") and I do feel sorry for him. I doubt the film makers or actors knew what a cult film it would become. I almost gave it my highest mark, but refrained because of the final show-down scene. How in the world does he know where to find that bus? The bus driver is most certainly off her route by that time. Plot holes like that just get my dander up.

year: 1971
length: 102 min.
rating: 3.5
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066999/combined

No comments: