Monday, August 11, 2003

Ben-Hur

I kept thinking I'd seen this film, but it was completely fresh this time around, including the famous chariot scene. I didn't remember that it is the story of a Jew (played by Charlton Heston) and his opposition to the Roman conquerors. I didn't remember that it chronicles the life of Jesus. I didn't remember that one of the Romans is an old friend of Heston's character and the conflict that arises from that. I didn't remember all the opportunities for hypocrisy and/or making the wrong choices that pervade the film. And, in the long run, atlhough I think it's one of the best epics ever made, I don't understand why Heston got the Oscar. His character is definitely the tie that binds the entire film together, but I didn't think it was awe-inspiring (although his acting is first-class). Different standards then, perhaps. It won a gaggle of awards, including Best Sound, Best Film, Best Director, Best Costume Design, and Best Supporting Actor for Hugh Griffith. His portrayal of the Arab sheik is designed to be funny, but he doesn't play it as slapstick, which makes you grin all the more. If you rent the DVD, watch the making-of documentary, which is particularly nicely done because it talks about the book the film was based on, the many stage- play renditions of the book, and the silent 1925 film. The scale of these productions alone will make you gasp. I won't blame you, though, if you skip past the interviews with Gore Vidal (one of the screenwriters on this film) and his monstrous ego.

year: 1959
length: 222 min.
rating: 4.0
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052618/combined

No comments: