Monday, July 21, 2003

Seabiscuit (PBS American Experience)

Having read the book of the same name, and loving the description of the horse races (and the whole book; it's one of the best books I've ever read), I wanted to watch the actual races. This documentary describes the life of Seabiscuit, a downtrodden horse with a failed jockey and a reclusive trainer, who captured the hearts of Americans during the Depression. It's an incredible story, and if you only have an hour, watch the documentary. If you have many days (and you won't be able to put it down), read the book and then return to this film to watch the racing. I'll admit that I found the descriptions more enticing than the filmed races, no matter how much they slowed them down. This may all change if I watch the Hollywood film that's coming out in a few weeks, also by the same name, because my guess is that they've done some fancy footwork putting together the racing shots.

year: 2003
length: 53 min.
rating: 3.5
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372513/combined

No comments: